The following are a few of the many facts about silverfish. They can grow legs if they lose one
- Silverfish adults can live for over 3 years.
- Silverfish have been in existence for 300 million years.
- Other names include; fish moths, carpet sharks, paramites and firebrats due to their appearance and behavior
Life cycle of Silverfish
Silverfish are found in various colors including grey, silvery and brown. They are long and slender. They are cigar-shaped, wingless, silver-grey, 12mm long insects. They have two long antenna and three tail-like appendages on the tips of their abdomen that are as long as their bodies. They are very fast and are always looking for places that have a variety of food. There they will settle. They do not swim in the water; they only enjoy the moist places. This makes getting rid of the Silverfish a quite complicated process that will need attention from pest control professionals such as our Silverfish control services offered in Vancouver, Richmond, Pitt Meadows and Port Moody.
Habitat and feeding
Silverfish exist in all environments but prefer damp or moist places so you are likely to find them in your bathroom or kitchen. They are nocturnal but still active in bright places. During the day, according to pest control experts, they hide in crevices and walls to avoid being seen. You will also find them hiding in windows, door frames, bookcases and older paper. Careful so that they do not eat your memories away. You need Advance Pest Control to ensure this.
Silverfish are considered omnivorous because they can actually feed on anything. They will feed on starchy and protein foods like wallpaper paste, carbohydrate food debris, glues, cereals, moist wheat flour and natural textiles. They also feed on mold and fungus. They are called scavengers because they feed on small things like bread crumbs but can be really a headache to control hence the need to hire our professional services for Silverfish control in Vancouver and Silverfish control in Port Coquitlam.
Prevention and control
In order to prevent or control Silverfish, you must be able to detect them, something which can be a bit hard if you really don’t have the kind of expertise needed. But you, at any time, hire our services at any time depending on where you are at. Some of the signs that you haveSilverfish will include the following:
- Finding the cast of Silverfish because they molt all their lives
- Holes in walls are a clear indication that there are Silverfish
- Irregular tear on books
- Yellow stains on clothes and paper
- Nests around the house belonging to other animals could also tell of a Silverfish infestation
Preventive and control measures that you could apply while waiting for us are:
- Eliminate any dampness in the household
- Remove all the humidity in the house since Silverfish thrive in such humid conditions. You can use a dehumidifier, ventilate closed rooms and attics, eliminate standing water and run an air conditioner
- vacuum cracks and crevices
- remove moist foods or simply keep the food storage area dry
- Spray insecticide in the inside perimeter and the outside to ensure that none enter and those that are inside are exterminated
- Bait areas of infestation