Roof Rat Control
Roof Rat Control
Enough with these rodents already!
Are you sick and tired of the presence of roof rats in your buildings and the damage they’ve caused? Would you like to get rid of them? Have you been looking for the most effective, affordable and eco-friendly pest control services? Well, if this is your case then there is no need to worry at all because we, at Advance Pest Control, are here for you. We’ll offer you the best of the best pest control solutions in the market today at very affordable rates.
We understand that many people are having a hard time trying to get rid of various pests, roof rats included, either in their homes or even in their commercial residences. That is why we have the most experienced pest control professionals on board in our office, which provide services across all major cities in Lower Mainland like Vancouver, Surrey, Burnaby, Coquitlam, Langley, Cloverdale, Aldergrove, Richmond and Abbotsford to mention but a few.
It is also worth noting that we use products that are environmentally friendly and the most up-to-date technology in our pest control services.
There are several facts that are associated with roof rats that you need to know. They include;
- Gestation period of a black rat female is 3 weeks
- Black rats eat 15grams per day with 15ml of water
- They are cleaner than most rats and have time to groom
Lifecycle of a roof rat
The breeding time of a roof rat is mostly between March and November. A female roof rat can reproduce up to 5 litters per year. They begin to be active reproductively at 12-13 weeks of age. Their lifespan mainly depends on where they are. The kind of pest control measures that you will employ may also determine, to some extent, how long these rodents may live. That is for the reason that some measures or techniques may not be very effective hence the need to hire professionals in this field. You can talk to us and we can help you wherever you are in Lower Mainland including Tsawwassen and Surrey, Langley, Richmond, Burnaby among many more.
Habitat and feeding
They create nests on top of roofs thus the name; roof rat. Their nests are mostly made of twigs and grass. Apart from the rooftops, in some other places around the world like Britain, they can be found in rock and cliffs. In other places, they will be in dumps and around buildings where there are people.
They are omnivores eating a variety of things but prefer fruits and seeds. They also feed on insects and some dead birds, garbage and feces. They, like the Norway rat, are good swimmers and climbers.
They range 16-24 cm body length. They weigh 150-250grams. Despite common misconception, the roof rat is not entirely black, they range from tawny brown to black. Their tales are longer than their bodies and heads combined. Roof rats are like most of other rats – close to perfect hearing, touch, and taste senses.
Don’t hesitate to call in our pest control experts for services in Richmond, Delta or even Port Moody, if you notice these rodents in your home or at your business.
Diseases they cause
Black rats are known to have spread the Bubonic Plague during the middle ages because they carry fleas that transmit the disease. They carry pathogens that spread typhus, Weil’s disease, toxoplasmosis and trichinosis. If that is not enough think of the damage they do to your roof and the dirt they bring around your household.
Our professional pest control services are not only effective but also proven services that you can access in places like West Vancouver.
How to easily identify a roof rat
- A mature roof rat weighs approximately 150-200 grams
- This rodent has a long tail, which, in most cases is even longer than its body
- Roof rats measure around 40cm long, from its nose to the end of the tail
- It has large ears and eyes with a relatively slender body
- Its droppings are usually around 12.5 millimeters with some sharp or pointed ends
Prevention and control
The following are some of the ways in which you can get rid of these rodents both in your residential and commercial buildings.
- Cut any trees that might be hanging and touching your building.
- Make sure that your environment is clean and that there are absolutely no spilled remains of foods or seeds.
- Always make sure that all food, water as well as any garbage that is around is kept in tightly sealed containers. In other words, never leave them open or in an open place.
- Make sure that there are no open holes in your building especially around the doors, roofs and windows.
In case you notice roof rats’ infestation in your home or commercial buildings, don’t hesitate to call us. We’ll come and help you, in the most professional way, in getting rid of these rodents that can cause trouble for you if not controlled.