This tiny swift rodent belongs to the Sciuridae family and is most commonly found in America, Eurasia, Africa, and Australia. Its size ranges from 7-10 cm long, and it weighs about 10g. It has big button-like eyes and a soft furry tail with its body very flexible and lithe. The color of its skin varies with species mostly being brown or black. It has a great skill of holding on to tiny objects and is also an amazing climber.
It’s amazing to know that this mischievous little rodent has about 200 species on earth – tree squirrels, ground squirrels, chipmunks, flying squirrels, red squirrels, gray squirrels to name a few.
Typically seen in tree holes and cavities, these squirrels can swiftly pass through tiniest of openings and holes. They are active during the night and create bizarre sounds in the dark. They can chew away the rooftop area to make entry and exit easier.
These are bigger than flying squirrels and construct homes using leaves. They slide and enter attic holes through drainage, and you can expect them moving around bushes and trees. They are fond of storing food which includes nuts, fruits, vegetables, etc. Like the flying squirrels, these are also nocturnal
The smallest of their counterparts, red squirrels make more noises during the day. So if you hear squeaking and growling from the woods during the daytime, you can be sure red squirrels are around. They inhabit in areas of USA and Canada and feed on nuts and seeds and conifer cones.
A group of squirrels called “Scurry” is commonly sighted during winter, although they like to spend time alone. An adult squirrel has a pregnancy period of 3-5 weeks and gives birth to many young ones which differ from one species to another. It loves to gnaw with their four front teeth which grow in size throughout its lifetime.
Its favourite food includes nuts, seeds, fruits and they often hunt for food in parks and urban households. It constantly forages for food and can even gnaw electric wires causing disturbance to the power supply. Squirrels are also very conscious about their diet and prefer to feed on nutrient-rich food which contains proteins, carbohydrates, and fats. They silently eat away new buds from trees when food is scarce in their dwelling places.
Squirrels love to move around, and menace but they are smart enough to build their nests and areas far from the reach of humans. When you start your investigation, you will find their hideouts in attics and other structures from the roof or closed window panes, and chimneys.
- To keep these menacing creatures at bay, designing a systematic and fool-proof trapping technique is essential. First, you can start by clearing food sources like nuts and seeds.
- Trimming tree branches is another way to prevent them from entering attic holes.
- You can also use live traps to catch them on the go. Make sure that the material is strong to combat the chewing and gnawing of squirrels and avoid causing damage.
- Trapping and relocating squirrels alone don’t solve the issue. It would help if you had the expertise to exclude them from your place and sealing the opening to proof it from further infestation.
- Squirrel repellants also do wonders in controlling these rodents. The main ingredients are natural herbs and plants which keeps the squirrel at bay. The taste and smell of these formulations help in preventing squirrels from entering homes and buildings.
While these control techniques are only a temporary solution to the problem; we have a team of experts who will take over the complete process of getting rid of squirrels from your vicinity. We offer extraordinary services which include inspection, trapping, exclusion, relocation and prevention of squirrels.