What are they?
The American cockroach is the largest of the American house-infested roaches and a major pest. It is often commonly referred to as the water bug, the canary of Bombay or the palmetto bug. The American cockroach, given its name, is not originally from North America.
Popular indoor environments for American cockroaches include warm and humid building areas. They also find themselves in sewers, drainage pipes and basements. American cockroaches are known to move in large groups to avoid disruption of the environment and several generations may even live together in the same place.
How to identify them ( Common signs of infestation )
Four common signs of an infestation of American cockroaches.
- Homeowners can see the very fast-moving insects usually fleeing to dark places themselves.
- American cockroaches leave behind droppings in the dark places where they are hidden. Such small dropouts are blunt at the ends and sides have ridges. They are often mistaken for mouse droppings, so contacting a licensed pest control professional for proper identification is crucial.
- Another indicator of an American cockroach infestation is the appearance of some 8 mm long, dark-colored egg capsules. Egg capsules are often stuck to a near-food surface and can be found in basements, laundry rooms and kitchens, as well as in appliances or cabinets below.
- Finally, American cockroach can produce a pheromone that is identified by some as having a “musty” smell. People with sensitive noses may note this fragrance around the building.
Do American cockroaches infest?
Such pests may also infest homes by conveniently slipping through, or by accessing windows and garages in the basement. Generally American cockroaches, once inside a home, find their way into the kitchen, bathroom, basement or laundry room in search of food and water.
Are American cockroaches harmful?
Cockroaches can cause asthma. Studies have shown that asthma symptoms are on the rise in homes with cockroaches. They can cause an allergic reaction when they leave their droppings, shed bits, and saliva.
Secondly, cockroaches are associated with stomach disease. As they move around the house from dumpsters or a sewage pipes to pantry or kitchen drawer. These movements can spread harmful bacteria when cockroaches go from dirty places to food preparation areas, pantry shelves, silverware drawers, and dish cabinets. They also like to perch on a toothbrush’s bristles. Anywhere bacteria can be found, cockroaches are right at home.
Cockroaches could just bite! Although those insects are not likely to bite, when populations get big enough, they can and do bite. Roach bites typically occur on the eyelids, since these insects tend to nibble on eyelashes.
What are American cockroaches attracted to?
Foods such as candy, cookies, fruit, cheese, beer, book binding starch and hair attract these cockroaches. The American cockroach can carry bacteria and contaminate surfaces and food due to the unsanitary conditions in which they live.
Some measures that can be taken to avoid the problem:
- Caulk through ground level walls to all penetrations.
- Remove the rotting leaves from wells and gutters in the windows.
- Avoid water leakage, screen overflow drains from the machinery, and clear excess water from buildings; keep drain taps sealed or locked.
- Store firewood as far from your home as possible
- Dispose off old boxes and piles of papers where roaches will hide.
- Using a lid that fits securely on your trash can.
- Shift garbage cans from chosen humid environment.
- Thoroughly clean the cooking equipment to remove food sources.
- It is not prudent to allow indoor pets to sit out for pet food overnight. Pick up the food for outdoor pets after they have finished feeding.
- Keep spaces ventilated most times.
- Remove decaying leaves from fountains and gutters
Although these measures might help keeping roaches at bay but if you are already facing an infestation it is always better to opt for a professional service i.e Advance Pest Control.
Advance Pest Control provides long term solutions.
At Advance pest control, our services include a proper communicative plan of action and direction, we carry out a site inspection to understand the problem before we start the cleaning procedure. Our experts work day and night to improve and implement the best methods suited to your needs as every pest comes up with a different set of challenges, the Advance Pest Control offers its premium services at your doorstep 24/7, all you have to do is make a call and we will be at your service. You can also go to our website for recommendations and reviews.